8 of 23 portraits of Samuel Rogers
by Sir Edwin Henry Landseer
pen and wash, circa 1835
9 1/4 in. x 7 3/8 in. (236 mm x 188 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Samuel Rogers (1763-1855), Poet, banker and art connoisseur. Sitter in 23 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir Edwin Henry Landseer (1802-1873), Painter. Artist associated with 54 portraits, Sitter in 21 portraits.
This portraitback to top
This drawing shows a behind-the-scenes glimpse of Rogers's preparation for one of his literary breakfasts. Landseer makes full use of his subject's ungainly pose as he scratches his back. His expression in the mirror suggests immense satisfaction. The intimacy of Landseer's caricatures indicates an exceptional degree of access, although they may of course be entirely fictitious. If Rogers saw these drawings, his reaction has not been recorded.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Rogers, Malcolm, Master Drawings from the National Portrait Gallery, 1993 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 5 August to 23 October 1994), p. 111
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Caricatures by Edwin Landseer (16 November 2009 - 23 May 2010)
Exhibitions and displays
- Painting Parliament: The Fine Arts Commission 1841 – 1863
Until 10 May 2015