The Rossetti Family
4 of 9 portraits of William Michael Rossetti
- Extended Catalogue Entry
The Rossetti Family
by Lewis Carroll (Charles Lutwidge Dodgson)
albumen print, 7 October 1863
6 7/8 in. x 8 3/4 in. (175 mm x 222 mm)
Given by Helen Macgregor, 1978
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- Christina Georgina Rossetti (1830-1894), Poet. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Dante Gabriel Rossetti (1828-1882), Painter and poet. Sitter in 29 portraits, Artist associated with 22 portraits.
- Frances Mary Lavinia Rossetti (née Polidori) (1800-1886), Mother of Dante Gabriel, William Michael and Christina Rossetti. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- William Michael Rossetti (1829-1919), Critic and writer. Sitter in 9 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Lewis Carroll (Charles Lutwidge Dodgson) (1832-1898), Photographer and author of 'Alice in Wonderland'. Artist associated with 60 portraits, Sitter in 9 portraits.
This portraitback to top
This famous photograph is one of a series taken of the Rossetti family by Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, a.k.a. Lewis Carroll, in the garden of Dante Gabriel Rossetti's house in Cheyne Walk on 7 October 1863. Although best remembered as an artist, Dante Gabriel (standing on the left of the group) was also a significant, if controversial, poet. Seated next to him is his sister, Christina, one of the greatest women poets of the Victorian period, and standing on the right beside their mother Frances, is William Michael Rossetti, a distinguished literary critic and historian.
Given by Miss Helen Macgregor, 1978.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Funnell, Peter (introduction); Marsh, Jan, A Guide to Victorian and Edwardian Portraits, 2011, p. 12
- Marsh, Jan, The Pre-Raphaelite Circle, 2013, p. 9
- Marsh, Jan, Insights: The Pre-Raphaelite Circle, 2005, p. 10
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 732
- Various contributors, National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain, 2014, p. 147
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, London (garden, Tudor House, 16 Cheyne Walk, Chelsea, London)