- Extended Catalogue Entry
by Sir Hubert von Herkomer
29 3/4 in. x 19 3/4 in. (755 mm x 503 mm)
Given by Sir Hubert von Herkomer, 1903
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- John Ruskin (1819-1900), Writer, artist and social reformer. Sitter associated with 77 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir Hubert von Herkomer (1849-1914), Painter and illustrator. Artist associated with 47 portraits, Sitter in 10 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Hubert Herkomer (the von was added later) was a self-taught artist and son of a woodcarver. in 1879 he undertook this watercolour portrait of John Ruskin, the great writer on art, as one of a group of studies of famous men that he intended to bequeath to his children. He described the circumstances in which it was painted in a later newspaper article: 'I painted John Ruskin in 1879. It was a watercolour, a drawing of head and shoulders, life-size, painted at Denmark Hill, in the little garret bedroom which had formerly been his nursery. He seemed most anxious not to look at the painting until I had quite finished it; whilst sitting he was theorising about the methods of painting. I used in those days to paint abnormally large watercolours and always covered the paper first with a wash of some ochre or grey, then sketched the subject with charcoal. I would then commence with a hog-hair brush, working up the ground colour with some fresh tones and out of a kind of chaos produce a head.' Ruskin liked the result, describing it as 'the first that has ever given what good can be gleaned out of the clods of my face'.
Related worksback to top
Linked publicationsback to top
- Marsh, Jan, Character Sketches: The Pre-Raphaelites, 1998
- Marsh, Jan, Insights: The Pre-Raphaelite Circle, 2005, p. 60
- Parris, Matthew, Heroes and Villains: Scarfe at the National Portrait Gallery, 2003 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 30 September 2003 to 4 April 2004), p. 115
- Rogers, Malcolm, Master Drawings from the National Portrait Gallery, 1993 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 5 August to 23 October 1994), p. 131
- Saumarez Smith, Charles, The National Portrait Gallery: An Illustrated Guide, 2000, p. 144
- Saumarez Smith, Charles, The National Portrait Gallery, 1997, p. 144
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 538
- Various, William Morris: Words & Wisdom, 2014 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 16 October 2014 - 11 January 2015)