© National Portrait Gallery, London
Sir Walter Scott, 1st Bt
by Augustin Edouart Click on the links below to find out more
9 1/2 in. x 4 1/2 in. (241 mm x 114 mm)
- Holmes, Richard, Insights: The Romantic Poets and Their Circle, 2005, p. 80
- Holmes, Richard, The Romantic Poets and Their Circle, 2013, p. 97
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 553
- Schama, Simon, The Face of Britain: The Nation Through its Portraits, 2015-09-15, p. 486
- Walker, Richard, Regency Portraits, 1985, p. 440
George IV dies at Windsor on 26 June; William IV succeeds to the throne.Duke of Wellington resigns as Prime Minister to be succeeded by Earl Grey.'Captain Swing' disturbances among agricultural districts in southern England. Taking their name from a mythical leader, hundreds of labourers break the threshing machines that threaten their winter employment.
Art and science
Liverpool and Manchester Railway opens; MP William Huskisson is run down by a train and killed at the inaugural ceremony.William Cobbett publishes Rural Rides
; a nostalgic tribute to the English countryside which expresses dismay at the sweeping changes taking place.
July Revolution in France overthrows the Bourbon dynasty. Charles X goes into exile in England and Louis Philippe, Duc d'Orleans is proclaimed King by the Chamber of Deputies who fear European opposition to the declaration of a second Republic.