© National Portrait Gallery, London
by Joseph Severn Click on the links below to find out more
pencil, circa 1820
10 in. x 7 in. (254 mm x 178 mm)
Given by Maurice Buxton Forman, 1940
- Joseph Severn (1793-1879), Painter and Civil Servant. Sitter associated with 3 portraits, Artist associated with 14 portraits.
- Joseph Severn (1793-1879), Painter and Civil Servant. Artist associated with 14 portraits, Sitter associated with 3 portraits.
- Holmes, Richard, Insights: The Romantic Poets and Their Circle, 2005, p. 19
- Holmes, Richard, The Romantic Poets and Their Circle, 2013, p. 27
- Ormond, Richard, Early Victorian Portraits, 1973, p. 415
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 556
George III dies at Kew on 29 January and George IV ascends to the throne.'Trial of Queen Caroline' in the House of Lords; Parliament drops the Bill which was to legitimise a divorce between Caroline and George IV.Cato Street Conspiracy to assassinate the cabinet discovered. Arthur Thistlewood and fellow conspirators are hung.
Art and science
Sir Thomas Lawrence becomes President of the Royal Academy.Astronomical Society is set up by John Herschel and Charles Babbage. First iron steamship is launched.
Actor, Edmund Kean goes on a successful tour of America after making his name at the Drury Lane Theatre.Revolutions begin in Spain, Portugal and Naples.The famous ancient Greek statue of the Venus de Milo is rediscovered on the Island of Melos and purchased by the Louvre in Paris.