© National Portrait Gallery, London
by Tilly Kettle Click on the links below to find out more
oil on canvas, 1762
29 in. x 24 1/2 in. (737 mm x 622 mm)
- Anna Seward (1742-1809), Writer and poet. Sitter associated with 4 portraits.
- Tilly Kettle (1735-1786), Painter. Artist associated with 19 portraits.
She is seen is this portrait holding a book whose pages are headed 'Milton'.
- Eger, Elizabeth; Peltz, Lucy, Brilliant Women: 18th Century Bluestockings, 2008 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 13 March to 15 June 2008), p. 47
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 423
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 556
- Uglow, Jenny, Character Sketches: Dr Johnson, His Club and Other Friends, 1998, p. 18
Birth of George, Prince of Wales (later George IV) on 12 August. Thomas Pelham-Holles, 1st Duke of Newcastle resigns as Prime Minister over foreign policy and is succeeded by the Tory John Stuart, 3rd Earl of Bute. Many of Newcastle's followers are dismissed over the following months in what becomes popularly known as the 'Massacre of the Pelhamite Innocents'.'Cock Lane ghost' appears in Smithfield, London.
Art and science
James MacPherson publishes Fingal, an Ancient Epic Poem
, said to be the work of the third century Scottish bard Ossian, initiating the greatest literary hoax of the century.Sign-Painters Exhibition is organised in London by Bonnell Thornton to ridicule recently established public art exhibitions. Artist William Hogarth publishes The Times Plate 1
; an anti-war satire.
Philosopher Jean-Jacques Rousseau publishes his major works The Social Contract and Emile; influential treatises on society and education. Peter III of Russia is reputedly assassinated as a result of a conspiracy led by his wife Catherine, who succeeds him to the throne as Catherine II (later the Great). Seven Years' War: The British commander John Manners Marquess of Granby distinguishes himself at the Battle of Manila.