Sir Henry Sidney
Sir Henry Sidney
by Unknown artist
oil on panel, 1573
26 5/8 in. x 20 5/8 in. (676 mm x 525 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Sir Henry Sidney (1529-1586), Soldier and statesman. Sitter associated with 11 portraits.
This portraitback to top
This portrait has suffered over time and some of the detail has been lost. Several versions of this portrait painted towards the end of his life remain in existence.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 565
- Strong, Roy, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 1969, p. 288
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1573back to top
Current affairsThe radical protestant Sir Francis Walsingham is appointed Principal Secretary . He establishes a large espionage network to protect Queen Elizabeth I.
Art and scienceThe French Protestant jurist François Hotman writes Franco-Gallia, arguing for representative government and an elective monarchy.Birth of the architect Inigo Jones.
InternationalFernando, Duke of Alva resigns as Spanish Governor-General in the Netherlands after failing to make headway against the Dutch Protestant rebels. He is succeeded by Don Luis de Requesens, who attempts to pursue a more conciliatory policy.The Treaty of Constantinople ends war between the Ottoman Empire and Venice. Venice cedes Cyprus and increases its annual tribute. The Duke of Anjou becomes the first elected King of Poland.
Exhibitions and displays
- Framing the Face: Collars and Ruffs
Until 16 July
- Reproducing Fame: Printmakers and the Nineteenth Century Stage
Until 2 July
- Portrait of the Day: Augustus Pugin
31 January, 12:30