Sir Philip Sidney
1 portrait matching these criteria:
- date of portrait between '1540' and '1580'
Sir Philip Sidney
after Unknown artist
oil on canvas, 18th century or after, based on a work of circa 1576
45 3/8 in. x 32 3/8 in. (1152 mm x 823 mm)
Given by Harold Lee-Dillon, 17th Viscount Dillon, 1925
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Sir Philip Sidney (1554-1586), Soldier, statesman and poet. Sitter associated with 30 portraits.
Related worksback to top
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 565
- Strong, Roy, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 1969, p. 291
Events of 1576back to top
Current affairsParliament presents Queen Elizabeth I with a petition complaining of ecclesiastical abuses. The member of Parliament Peter Wentworth is imprisoned for attacking royal interference with Parliamentary freedom of speech. The explorer and privateer Martin Frobisher sets out to find a Northwest passage to the Far East. He becomes the first European to visit Baffin Island, Canada.
Art and scienceThe actor and theatre manager James Burbage builds the Theatre, the first permanent playhouse in England, at Shoreditch, London.The composer Thomas Whithorne writes the earliest known autobiography in English.
InternationalPacification of Ghent - an alliance between the Protestant northern and Catholic southern provinces of the Netherlands to collectively fight for the expulsion of Spanish troops from their territories.The Spanish army serving in the Low Countries mutinies and sacks the city of Antwerp. Death of the Holy Roman Emperor Maximillian II and succession of his son Rudolf II.
Exhibitions and displays
- Framing the Face: Collars and Ruffs
Until 16 July
- Reproducing Fame: Printmakers and the Nineteenth Century Stage
Until 2 July