© National Portrait Gallery, London
Philip Stanhope, 5th Earl Stanhope
by Sir George Hayter Click on the links below to find out more
oil on millboard, 1834
21 1/4 in. x 11 3/4 in. (540 mm x 298 mm)
Given by wish of the sitter's great-granddaughter, Cicely Stanhope, 1963
- Philip Stanhope, 5th Earl Stanhope (1805-1875), Historian; founding member and first chairman of the Trustees of the National Portrait Gallery and Conservative politician; MP for Hertford. Sitter in 23 portraits.
- Sir George Hayter (1792-1871), Portrait and history painter; son of Charles Hayter. Artist associated with 198 portraits, Sitter associated with 16 portraits.
- NPG 54: The House of Commons, 1833 (finished work)
- Victorian Portraits Resource Pack, p. 2
- Funnell, Peter, Victorian Portraits in the National Portrait Gallery Collection, 1996, p. 2
- Ormond, Richard, Early Victorian Portraits, 1973, p. 428
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 582
Sir Robert Peel, Tory, replaces Whig Lord Melbourne as Prime Minister, promising measured reform in a shift from reactionary 'Tory' to more measured 'Conservative' politics (he had voted for the 1832 Reform Act).Trial of Tolpuddle Martyrs
, six labourers transported to Australia after trying to raise funds for workers in need by forming a Friendly Society.
Art and science
Charles Babbage's invents the Analytic Machine. Considered to be the forerunner to the modern computer, the machine was able to make automatic mathematical calculations. Edward Bulwer-Lytton publishes his hugely popular, but now largely neglected, novel Last Days of Pompeii
, set in the Italian city at the time of Mount Vesuvius' eruption in 79AD.
Dom Miguel I, King of Portugal, is defeated by his brother Pedro IV, in the Portuguese civil war. Slavery is abolished in the British dominions, although slaves still working are indentured to their former owners in an 'apprenticeship' system; the philanthropist Joseph Sturge was a prominent critic of the policy, which was abolished in 1838. Whilst slave owners received compensation, slaves received nothing.