12 of 35 portraits on display in Room 12 at the National Portrait Gallery
by Joseph Nollekens
marble bust, circa 1766
15 1/2 in. (394 mm) high
Given by Lt. Col. G.B. Croft-Lyons through The Art Fund, 1920
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Laurence Sterne (1713-1768), Writer and divine; author of 'Tristram Shandy'. Sitter in 16 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Joseph Nollekens (1737-1823), Sculptor. Artist associated with 19 portraits, Sitter in 14 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Laurence Sterne, author of Tristram Shandy, visited Italy in 1765, travelling from Florence south to Rome and Naples in early 1766. His travels resulted in his book A Sentimental Journey through France and Italy, published in 1768. While in Rome, Sterne sat to the young sculptor Joseph Nollekens, who produced a portrait bust of exceptional quality - austere, dignified and Roman. More detailed information on this portrait is available in a National Portrait Gallery collection catalogue, John Kerslake's Early Georgian Portraits (1977, out of print).
Linked publicationsback to top
- Kerslake, John, Early Georgian Portraits, 1977, p. 265
- King, Reyahn; Sandhu, Sukhdev; Walvin, James; Girdham, Jane, Ignatius Sancho: An African Man of Letters, 1997, p. 77
- Piper, David, The English Face, 1992, p. 152
- Saumarez Smith, Charles, The National Portrait Gallery: An Illustrated Guide, 2000, p. 100
- Saumarez Smith, Charles, The National Portrait Gallery, 1997, p. 100
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 588