Alfred, Lord Tennyson
6 of 95 portraits of Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Alfred, Lord Tennyson
by George Frederic Watts
oil on canvas, circa 1863-1864
24 1/8 in. x 20 1/4 in. (613 mm x 514 mm)
Given by George Frederic Watts, 1895
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Alfred Tennyson, 1st Baron Tennyson (1809-1892), Poet Laureate. Sitter in 95 portraits.
Artistback to top
- George Frederic Watts (1817-1904), Painter and sculptor. Artist associated with 90 portraits, Sitter in 43 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
Events of 1863back to top
Current affairsThe opening of the world's first underground railway, with the Metropolitan Railway running trains between Bishop's Street, Padington and Farringdon. Work had begun in 1860, using the 'cut-and-cover' method of construction. The Metropolitan line inspired the construction of other underground railways - the Parisian 'Metro' took its name from the line. The Football Association is founded.
Art and scienceJulia Margaret Cameron takes up photography, taking portraits of some of the most celebrated figures of the day, with her romantic style capturing the sense of nostalgia and longing that characterised the age. Kingsley's Water Babies; A Fairy Tale for Children is published, the hugely popular tale of drowned chimney sweep Tom's moral education in the river world of the water babies. It inspired the 1978 film starring James Mason.
InternationalAt an international conference, the Geneva Public Welfare Society calls on the sixteen nations present to form voluntary units to help the wartime wounded. The society, comprised of five Swiss citizens and led by Henri Dunant, who had been deeply affected by the casualties he had witnessed at the Battle of Solferino, became the National Red Cross Societies, adopting the emblem of a red cross on white background.
- G.F Watts - Selected Letters
- Julia Margaret Cameron:
‘Poets, prophets, painters and lovely maidens’
- G.F. Watts Portraits: Fame & Beauty in Victorian Society
- The Watts Collection
- Collected Archives - T-Z
- Watts handlist
- Only Connect - installation video
- Only Connect
- Princes of Victorian Bohemia: Photographs by David Wilkie Wynfield
Buy a print
Related shop items
- A Guide to Victorian & Edwardian Portraits
- Companion Series: The Pre-Raphaelite Circle
- Companion Series: Tennyson and his Circle
- Virginia Woolf: Art, Life and Vision Catalogue (Paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Moustaches,Whiskers & Beards
- George Frederic Watts DVD
- Ellen Terry ('Choosing') by George Frederick Watts Mini-print