© National Portrait Gallery, London
Alfred, Lord Tennyson
by Julia Margaret Cameron Click on the links below to find out more
albumen print, 1869
11 3/8 in. x 9 3/4 in. (289 mm x 248 mm)
- Julia Margaret Cameron (1815-1879), Pioneer photographer. Artist associated with 113 portraits, Sitter in 8 portraits.
- NPG P124: Alfred, Lord Tennyson (from same negative)
- Marsh, Jan, Insights: The Pre-Raphaelite Circle, 2005, p. 78
- Marsh, Jan, The Pre-Raphaelite Circle, 2013, p. 82
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 608
- Spalding, Frances, Virginia Woolf: Art, Life and Vision, 2014 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 10 July 2014 - 26 October 2014), p. 29
Gladstone introduces the Irish Church Disestablishment Act, which disestablishes the Church of Ireland, disassociating it from the state and repealing the paying of tithes to the Anglican Church of Ireland. Girton College is founded in Cambridge by Barbara Bodichon and Emily Davies, the first residential college for women in England; women were granted full membership to the University in 1948.
Art and science
Russian chemist Dmitri Mendeleev invents the periodic table of elements, which arranges elements within a group in order of their atomic mass. The British scientist Mary Somerville publishes her last book On Molecular and Microscopic Science
. Claude Monet and Pierre-Auguste Renoir paint together in the open air at La Grenouillère, developing the Impressionist style.
The Suez canal opens, linking the Red Sea and the Gulf of Suez with the Mediterranean Sea, and transforming trade routes between Europe and Asia as merchants no longer had to circumvent Africa. The canal was largely in British and French control until Egyptian nationalisation in 1956, which sparked off the international Suez crisis.Serialisation of Leo Tolstoy's epic novel of Russian society during the Napoleonic wars, War and Peace