Ellen Terry as Lady Macbeth
- Extended Catalogue Entry
Ellen Terry as Lady Macbeth
replica by John Singer Sargent
oil on canvas, 1906 (1889)
34 in. x 28 1/2 in. (863 mm x 725 mm) overall
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- John Singer Sargent (1856-1925), Portrait and landscape painter and muralist. Artist associated with 72 portraits, Sitter in 5 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Sargent painted this second, grisaille version of his sketch for reproduction in Ellen Terry's golden jubilee programme of 12 June 1906. 'You must think of me as one of the people bowing down to you in the picture', he wrote to Terry.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 609
Events of 1889back to top
Current affairsThe London Dock strike takes place resulting in a victory for the dock workers striking over pay and conditions.Prevention of Cruelty to Children Act, allowing legal intervention between children and parents for the first time.Charles Booth, the English social scientist, publishes the first volume of Life and Labour of the People, an extensive survey into the living conditions of London's East End working class communities.
Art and scienceGeorge Gissing's The Nether World, a dark account of the lives of the urban poor in Clerkenwell, is published. Gissing absorbs the French naturalist style of writers such as Emile Zola to produce a harshly realistic observation of life in London at the end of the nineteenth century.
InternationalThe Eiffel Tower is erected, designed by the French engineer and bridge builder Alexandre Gustave Eiffel for the Paris Exposition. At 300m high, it was the tallest manmade structure in the world at the time.The Second International organisation is formed at a Congress in Paris by various socialist and labour parties, with the intention of working together for international socialism. It also declared 1 May International Labour Day.
Exhibitions and displays
- Portrait of the Day: Elizabeth Garrett Anderson
25 June, 12:30
Related shop items
- A Guide to the National Portrait Gallery (paperback)
- A Guide to Victorian & Edwardian Portraits
- Ellen Terry Scarf
- Companion Series: Tennyson and his Circle
- Ellen Terry Magnetic Frame
- Sargent: Portraits of Artists and Friends
- Vogue 100: A Century of Style
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- John Singer Sargent: Painting Friends
- Pets in Portraits
- Ellen Terry Glasses Case
- Sargent 'Dr. Pozzi' Exhibition Poster
- Sargent 'The Fountain' Exhibition Poster
- George Frederic Watts DVD
- Ellen Terry Keyring
- Ellen Terry Pocket Mirror
- Ellen Terry ('Choosing') by George Frederick Watts Mini-print
- Ellen Terry Mini Jigsaw
- Ellen Terry ('Choosing') by George Frederic Watts Postcards