7 of 194 portraits of Ellen Terry
- Extended Catalogue Entry
by Walford Graham Robertson
oil on canvas, 1923
48 1/4 in. x 30 1/8 in. (1224 mm x 765 mm) overall
Given by Walford Graham Robertson, 1943
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Walford Graham Robertson (1866-1948), Painter, illustrator, costume designer and playwright. Artist of 2 portraits, Sitter in 3 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Actress; won fame as a child; first appeared on stage, 1856; married G.F. Watts, 1864, but separated the following year; performed her most memorable roles under the management of Henry Irving, 1878-1902; in later life continued to act but also produced plays, lectured and wrote.
Standing in an unidentified landscape.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 609
Events of 1923back to top
Current affairsStanley Baldwin begins the first of three terms of government as Conservative Prime Minister following the resignation of Andrew Bonar Law.
Art and scienceBolton Wanderers beat West Ham United in the first FA Cup Final at Wembley Stadium. The Cup Final was held at Wembley every year except during the war until 2000.
InternationalHitler attempts to take power in Germany with the Munich Beer Hall Putsch. On the 8th November Hitler and the SA stormed a meeting of the ruling 'triumvirs' forcing them to support a march on Berlin. The coup, however, failed and Hitler was arrested and sentences to five years in prison.
Related shop items
- A Guide to Victorian & Edwardian Portraits
- Ellen Terry Scarf
- Companion Series: Tennyson and his Circle
- Ellen Terry Magnetic Frame
- Sargent: Portraits of Artists and Friends
- Vogue 100: A Century of Style
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- John Singer Sargent: Painting Friends
- Pets in Portraits
- Ellen Terry Glasses Case
- George Frederic Watts DVD
- Ellen Terry Keyring
- Ellen Terry Pocket Mirror
- Ellen Terry ('Choosing') by George Frederick Watts Mini-print
- Ellen Terry Mini Jigsaw
- Ellen Terry ('Choosing') by George Frederic Watts Postcards