1 portrait on display in Room 24 at the National Portrait Gallery
by John Partridge
oil on millboard, 1836
9 7/8 in. x 7 7/8 in. (251 mm x 200 mm)
Bequeathed by the widow of the artist's nephew, Sir Bernard Partridge, 1961
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Thomas Uwins (1782-1857), Painter. Sitter in 4 portraits, Artist associated with 20 portraits.
Artistback to top
- John Partridge (1789-1872), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 42 portraits, Sitter in 3 portraits.
This portraitback to top
This is preparatory study for Partridge's 'Sketch of a Sketching Society; the Critical Moment'. The Sketching Society was a group of artists who met at each others' houses when each would make a sketch of a given subject.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ormond, Richard, Early Victorian Portraits, 1973, p. 473
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 629
Exhibitions and displays
- Painting Parliament: The Fine Arts Commission 1841 – 1863
Until 10 May 2015
See this portrait
On display in Room 24 at the National Portrait Gallery