1 of 15 portraits of Pietro Vermigli
by Unknown artist
oil on panel, transferred to canvas, 1560
23 1/2 in. x 21 1/2 in. (597 mm x 546 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Pietro Vermigli (1499-1562), Reformer, Theologian and known as 'Peter Martyr'. Sitter associated with 15 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 632
- Strong, Roy, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 1969, p. 319
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1560back to top
Current affairsTreaty of Edinburgh between England, France and Scotland. France removes forces from Scotland and Mary, Queen of Scots abandons her claim to the English crown. An independent Scottish Parliament is established in Edinburgh, which in turn establishes the Church of Scotland. Influenced by the Protestant reformer John Knox, the reformed church abolishes papal authority in Scotland.
Art and sciencePublication of Jing P'Ing Mei (The Plum in the Golden Vase) by Hsu Wei, the first socially realistic Chinese novel.
InternationalDeath of Francis II of France. He is succeeded by his brother Charles IX with his mother, Catherine de Medici, as Regent. His widow, Mary, Queen of Scots, returns to Scotland the following year.Akbar, Mughal Emperor of India, establishes a new capital at Agra.
Exhibitions and displays
- Framing the Face: Collars and Ruffs
Until 31 December
- Portrait of the Day: Augustus Pugin
19 December, 12:30