5 of 476 portraits of Queen Victoria
replica by Sir Francis Leggatt Chantrey
marble bust, 1841 (1839)
27 3/4 in. (705 mm) high
Purchased with help from George Harland Peck, 1913
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Queen Victoria (1819-1901), Reigned 1837-1901. Sitter associated with 476 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir Francis Leggatt Chantrey (1781-1841), Sculptor. Artist associated with 267 portraits, Sitter in 11 portraits.
This portraitback to top
This replica of Chantrey's bust of 1839 was presented by the Queen to Sir Robert Peel in 1846.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Bayly, Christopher, The Raj: India and the British 1600-1947, 1990 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 19 October 1990 - 17 March 1991), p. 332
- Ormond, Richard, Early Victorian Portraits, 1973, p. 478
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 634
Exhibitions and displays
- William Nicholson Woodcuts
Until 2 March 2014
See this portrait
On display in Room 21 at the National Portrait Gallery