6 of 520 portraits of Queen Victoria
by Sir David Wilkie
pen and ink and watercolour, circa 1840
9 1/8 in. x 6 in. (232 mm x 152 mm)
Given by Lord Ronald Charles Sutherland-Leveson-Gower, 1901
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Queen Victoria (1819-1901), Reigned 1837-1901. Sitter associated with 520 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir David Wilkie (1785-1841), Painter. Artist associated with 16 portraits, Sitter in 21 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ormond, Richard, Early Victorian Portraits, 1973, p. 476
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 634
Events of 1840back to top
Current affairsVictoria marries her cousin, Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha; he is given the title of Prince Consort. The Penny Black stamp is introduced by Rowland Hill; the first pre-paid, self-adhesive stamp, it marks the start of the modern postal system.The start of the Irish potato famine, which by the time of its peak in 1851, had caused the deaths of one million, and contributed to the sharp rise of emigration from Ireland to England and America.
Art and scienceBeau Brummel, the fashion leader responsible for sparking the culture of 'Dandyism', dies of syphilis.The first stone is laid on the new Houses of Parliament, based on the gothic designs by the architects Charles Barry and Augustus Pugin. The old buildings had burned down in 1834, following a blaze caused by burning wooden tallies used by the Exchequer to calculate tax.
InternationalThe Afghans surrender to Britain during the Afghan-British war (1839-42). The war was sparked by British fear over Russian influence in Afghanistan, with the British East India Company resolving to depose the Afghan leader, Dost Muhammad, who was insistent on Afghan independence, and restore the former leader Shoja Shah. The Maoris yield sovereignty of New Zealand under the Treaty of Waitangi.
Related shop items
- Kings and Queens Mug
- A Guide to the National Portrait Gallery (paperback)
- A Guide to Victorian & Edwardian Portraits
- Victoria & Albert Scarf
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Moustaches,Whiskers & Beards
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- The World's Most Photographed catalogue (hardcover)
- Queen Victoria Bust
- Queen Victoria Decoration
- The Queen & Prince Albert's Polka greetings card