8 of 524 portraits of Queen Victoria
by Robert Physick
marble bust, 1851
22 1/2 in. (572 mm) high
Given by Queen Elizabeth Military Hospital, 1977
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Queen Victoria (1819-1901), Reigned 1837-1901. Sitter associated with 524 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 634
Events of 1851back to top
Current affairsA population census is taken of all the people living in Britain, recording details about every householder on the night of March 30. This census greatly extends the fields of the 1841 census, being the first to record full details of individuals' birth locations, exact age, marital status, and details of disability, thus making it a valuable tool for demographers and genealogists. The census was made open for public inspection in 1912.
Art and scienceThe Great Exhibition is held in London,at the Crystal Palace, especially designed by Sir Joseph Paxton. The international exhibition was designed to showcase the best in science, art and industry. it attracted millions of visitors. Lizzie Siddal poses for John Millais's painting Ophelia.Hermann von Helmotz invents the ophthalmoscope, making it possible for doctors to examine within a patient's eye.
InternationalLouis-Napoléon Bonaparte, President of the French Republic, stages a coup d'état, successfully dissolving the French National Assembly without having the constitutional right to do so. Now the sole ruler of France, he re-establishes universal suffrage, previously abolished by the Assembly and becomes 'Napoléon III, Emperor of the French'.
Buy a print
Related shop items
- Kings and Queens Mug
- A Guide to Victorian & Edwardian Portraits
- Victoria & Albert Scarf
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Moustaches,Whiskers & Beards
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- The World's Most Photographed catalogue (hardcover)
- Queen Victoria Bust
- Queen Victoria Decoration
- The Queen & Prince Albert's Polka greetings card