by Mary Helen Carlisle
watercolour on ivory
3 1/4 in. x 4 in. (83 mm x 102 mm) oval
Given by the artist's sister, Sybil Carlisle, 1925
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Queen Victoria (1819-1901), Reigned 1837-1901. Sitter associated with 519 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 635
Events of 1891back to top
Current affairsThe Irish Nationalist leader Charles Parnell is forced to resign after being named in the divorce proceedings brought by William O'Shea against his wife Kitty, who had been Parnell's mistress for a decade. The scandal severely damages the campaign for the Home Rule Bill, contributing greatly to its subsequent failure. Parnell's health also suffered; he contracted rheumatic fever and died a few months after resigning.
Art and scienceThomas Hardy's publishes Tess of the D'Urbervilles, a tragedy which explores the consequences of the young Tess's seduction by the wealthy Alec D'Urberville. In the novel, Hardy sets forward his major concerns about the individual's powerlessness before fate, whilst radically critiquing the hypocritical double standards of contemporary morals.
InternationalThe construction of Trans-Siberian railway, the longest single rail system in Russia, begins in the Urals and at Vladivostock. Running between Moscow and Vladivostock, work was completed in 1917. The German aviation pioneer Otto Lilenthal takes off in the first glider from a hill near Potsdam, the first of many guided flights and an important step in the development of aerial technology.
Related shop items
- Victoria & Albert Scarf
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- The World's Most Photographed catalogue (hardcover)
- A Guide to the National Portrait Gallery (paperback)
- A Guide to Victorian & Edwardian Portraits (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Moustaches,Whiskers & Beards
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- Queen Victoria Bust
- Queen Victoria Decoration
- The Queen & Prince Albert's Polka greetings card
- Kings and Queens of England Mug