1 of 2 portraits of Charles Waterton
by Charles Willson Peale
oil on canvas, 1824
24 1/8 in. x 20 1/4 in. (613 mm x 514 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Charles Willson Peale (1741-1827), Painter, engraver, sculptor, writer and inventor. Artist associated with 3 portraits.
This portraitback to top
The artist Peale was also a naturalist with a museum in Philadelphia. When he first met Waterton, in 1824, Waterton launched into a description of his method of taxidermy using the Guiana Red Cotinga and the cat's head that the artist has included here.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Holmes, Richard, The Romantic Poets and Their Circle, 2013, p. 22
- Holmes, Richard, Insights: The Romantic Poets and Their Circle, 2005, p. 17
- Holmes, Richard; Crane, David; Woof, Robert; Hebron, Stephen, Romantics and Revolutionaries: Regency portraits from the National Portrait Gallery, 2002, p. 113
- Ormond, Richard, Early Victorian Portraits, 1973, p. 496
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 644