© National Portrait Gallery, London
by Henry Howard Click on the links below to find out more
oil on bevelled mahogany panel, circa 1797
7 1/2 in. x 5 1/4 in. (191 mm x 146 mm)
Given by Sir Theodore Martin, 1882
- James Watt (1736-1819), Engineer. Sitter in 17 portraits.
- Henry Howard (1769-1847), Painter. Artist associated with 28 portraits, Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Hart-Davis, Adam, Chain Reactions, 2000, p. 41
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 476
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 645
Current affairsThe Anti-Jacobin
periodical makes its debut followed by The Anti-Jacobin Review
the year after. Edited by William Gifford, it acted as a Tory mouthpiece against the 'New Morality' associated with republicanism.Bank crisis results in the temporary suspension of payments by the Bank of England leading to a nationwide currency shortage.
Art and science
Robert Southey, later Poet Laureate, publishes his collected Poems
, exploring contemporary interest in mythology and non-European cultures.Ann Radcliffe publishes her popular gothic novel The Italian
. One of the most imaginative novelists of the period, she helped introduce readers to the romantic sense of the supernatural.
Battle of Cape St Vincent. Admiral John Jervis leads the fleet which defeat the Spanish.Failure of a small French invasion in Pembrokeshire. Naval mutinies at Spithead and Nore.Attack on the Canary Islands in which Rear-Admiral Nelson loses an arm.