George Frederic Watts
7 of 43 portraits of George Frederic Watts
- Extended Catalogue Entry
George Frederic Watts
by Julia Margaret Cameron
albumen print, circa 1865-1869
10 in. x 7 7/8 in. (254 mm x 199 mm)
Given by H. Saxe Wyndham, 1939
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- George Frederic Watts (1817-1904), Painter and sculptor. Sitter in 43 portraits, Artist associated with 90 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Julia Margaret Cameron (1815-1879), Pioneer photographer. Artist associated with 113 portraits, Sitter in 8 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
Events of 1865back to top
Current affairsElizabeth Garrett Anderson is the first female to be awarded a doctor's licence. She is also involved in collecting signatures for the Manchester Suffrage Committee, the first suffrage organisation, formed this year. John Stuart Mill was also elected to parliament this year on the platform of women's suffrage.Palmerston dies in October, and is replaced as leader of the Liberal government by his Foreign Secretary, Lord Russell.
Art and scienceLewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland is published, inspired by Carroll's relationship (as Oxford don Sir Charles Dodgson) with his friend Henry George Liddell's daughter Alice.Matthew Arnold publishes the first series of Essays in Criticism, a defining text in the development of English literature as an academic discipline.
InternationalIn the American civil war, Robert E. Lee surrenders the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia to Ulysses S. Grant, leading to the surrender of the Confederacy's remaining field armies. A few days later, US President Abraham Lincoln is shot dead by Confederate sympathiser John Wilkes Booth. Later this year slavery is officially abolished after years of fierce campaigning. In response, the first branch of the Ku Klux Klan is founded on Christmas Eve.
Exhibitions and displays
- A Century of Photography, 1840-1940
Until 1 October 2017
- Photographic holdings - Albums 163-228
- Julia Margaret Cameron
- Photographic holdings - print collections
- Julia Margaret Cameron:
‘Poets, prophets, painters and lovely maidens’
- Later Victorian Portraits Catalogue
- G.F Watts - Selected Letters
- G.F. Watts Portraits: Fame & Beauty in Victorian Society
- The Watts Collection
- Collected Archives - T-Z
- Watts handlist
- Only Connect - installation video
- Only Connect
- Princes of Victorian Bohemia: Photographs by David Wilkie Wynfield
- Victorian Portraits