1 portrait on display in Room 13 at the National Portrait Gallery
after Lemuel Francis Abbott
oil on canvas, (circa 1795?)
29 in. x 24 1/4 in. (737 mm x 616 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Lemuel Francis Abbott (circa 1760-1802), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 77 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Cooper, John, Visitor's Guide, 2000, p. 64
- Hart-Davis, Adam, Chain Reactions, 2000, p. 51
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 487
- Piper, David, The English Face, 1992, p. 197
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 662
Events of 1795back to top
Current affairsGeorge, Prince of Wales is forced to marry Caroline Amelia Elizabeth of Brunswick, despite having secretly married Maria Fitzherbert in 1785.Widespread rioting prompts the introduction of the Speenhamland system of welfare supplements which are linked to the price of bread.Treasonable Practices Act is passed against open criticism of government.
Art and scienceThe MP Matthew Gregory 'Monk' Lewis publishes his notorious gothic novel The Monk to success and scandal because of its immoral content.Mungo Park explores the course of the River Niger.
InternationalWolfe Tone, founder of The Society of United Irishmen, departs for America after being implicated in high treason in Ireland. Exiled in Philadelphia, he soon leaves for France to ask revolutionaries for assistance.Joseph Haydn composes the English Canzonettas during his second stay in London.
See this portrait
On display in Room 13 at the National Portrait Gallery
- Portrait of the Day: Horatio Nelson
31 August, 12:30