King William III
4 of 140 portraits of King William III
King William III
after Sir Peter Lely
oil on canvas, (1677)
49 in. x 39 1/4 in. (1245 mm x 997 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- King William III (1650-1702), Reigned 1689-1702. Sitter associated with 140 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir Peter Lely (1618-1680), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 841 portraits, Sitter in 19 portraits.
This portraitback to top
One of a number of copies of Lely's portrait painted in England at the time of William's marriage.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Audio Guide
- Ingamells, John, Later Stuart Portraits 1685-1714, 2009, p. 324
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 663
- Simon, Jacob, The Art of the Picture Frame: Artists, Patrons and the Framing of Portraits in Britain, 1997 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 8 November 1996 - 9 February 1997), p. 60
Events of 1677back to top
Current affairsSpeech by George Villiers, Duke of Buckingham, arguing that the prolonged prorogation of the Cavalier Parliament rendered it dissolved, sends him and three others, including Philip Wharton, Baron Wharton, to the Tower. Stadtholder, Prince William of Orange, marries Mary, daughter of James, Duke of York and Anne Hyde.
Art and scienceThe Natural History of Oxfordshire, (1676) by naturalist and antiquary Robert Plot, secures his election to the Royal Society in December and two years later, appointment as curator of objects to the objects bequeathed to Oxford University by Elias Ashmole.
InternationalDespite his dismissal from court in 1669, royalist soldier and statesman, James Butler, Duke of Ormond, is reappointed lord lieutenant of Ireland.
See this portrait
On display in Room 8 at the National Portrait Gallery