by Sir Joshua Reynolds
oil on canvas, 1752
30 in. x 23 1/2 in. (762 mm x 597 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Joseph Wilton (1722-1803), Sculptor. Sitter in 9 portraits, Artist associated with 7 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir Joshua Reynolds (1723-1792), Painter and first President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 1413 portraits, Sitter associated with 38 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Painted in Florence; this is one of the few portraits to survive from Reynolds's Italian journey (1749-52).
Linked publicationsback to top
- Hogarth, Reynolds, Turner : British painting and the rise of modernity, 2014, p. 195 number 49
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 491
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 669
Exhibitions and displays
- Favourites: Art and Power, 1600-1800
Until 1 September
See this portrait
On display in Room 12 at the National Portrait Gallery