5 of 63 portraits of Virginia Woolf
by Francis Dodd
8 in. x 6 1/2 in. (203 mm x 165 mm)
Given by Francis Dodd, 1951
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Virginia Woolf (née Stephen) (1882-1941), Novelist and critic; sister of Vanessa Bell. Sitter in 63 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Francis Dodd (1874-1949), Painter and printmaker. Artist associated with 52 portraits, Sitter in 5 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
Events of 1908back to top
Current affairsHenry Asquith replaces Henry Campbell-Bannerman as Liberal leader and Prime Minister, with David Lloyd George taking control of the Exchequer. Asquith and Lloyd George embark on a bold programme of social reform, laying the foundations of the Welfare State, introducing government pensions this year and later a system of National Insurance.The first aeroplane for the British army is built by the American, Samuel Cody.
Art and scienceE.M. Forster's novel A Room with a View is published, following the experiences of a young woman, Lucy Honeydrew, in the repressed culture of Edwardian England. The French art critic Louis Vauxcelles first uses the term 'cubism' to refer to a landscape painting by Georges Braque.
InternationalKing Carlos of Portugal and his heir, Prince Luis Filipe, are killed by assassins from the Republican trying to provoke a revolution. Carlos I, unpopular because of his extravagant lifestyle and extramarital affairs, was succeeded by his younger son, Manuel, the last monarch of the Braganza dynasty. Following the death of the Guangxu Emperor in China, his two year old nephew replaces him, becoming the the last Manchu emperor of China.
Related shop items
- A Guide to Victorian & Edwardian Portraits
- Companion Series: The Bloomsbury Group
- Virginia Woolf: Art, Life and Vision Catalogue (Paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Vanity Fair Portraits catalogue (paperback)
- Virginia Woolf by George Charles Beresford Mini-print
- Virginia Woolf Fridge Magnet
- Virginia Woolf Cushion
- Virginia Woolf Bronze Bust
- Virginia Woolf Wild Horse Necklace
- Virginia Woolf by George Charles Beresford Postcards