© National Portrait Gallery, London
by Dante Gabriel Rossetti Click on the links below to find out more
pencil, hexagonal, 1852
6 3/8 in. x 5 3/4 in. (163 mm x 147 mm) overall
- Thomas Woolner (1825-1892), Sculptor and poet. Sitter in 28 portraits, Artist associated with 25 portraits.
- Dante Gabriel Rossetti (1828-1882), Painter and poet. Artist associated with 22 portraits, Sitter in 29 portraits.
Having failed to receive any major commissions, Woolner emigrated to Australia in July 1852 in the hope of making his fortune in the gold-fields.. This portrait by Dante Gabriel Rossetti was done shortly before Woolner sailed there.
- Marsh, Jan, Character Sketches: The Pre-Raphaelites, 1998
- Marsh, Jan, Insights: The Pre-Raphaelite Circle, 2005, p. 42
- Marsh, Jan, The Pre-Raphaelite Circle, 2013, p. 44
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 678
The Peelites, a breakaway group who had supported Peel during the Corn Law reforms, join the Liberals. The Conservative Edward Stanley, 14th Earl of Derby, becomes Prime Minister after Lord John Russell's Liberal administration collapses. The administration is short-lived and replaced by a new Liberal-Peelite coalition, under the leadership of former Tory George Hamilton-Gordon, 4th Earl of Aberdeen.
Art and science
Start of spiritualism craze in England.London physician Peter Mark Roget first publishes his thesaurus.American author Harriet Beecher Stowe publishes the hugely successful anti-slavery novel, Uncle Tom's Cabin
Scottish physicist William Thomson formulates the second law of thermodynamics, demonstrating that a rapidly expanding gas cools.
Independent Boer republics north of the Vaal and Orange rivers are recognised by Britain following the Sand River Convention. Later, the Bloemfontein Convention (1854) formally recognises the independence of Boer republics between the Vaal and Orange rivers, resulting in the Boer Republic of the Orange Free State. Tension escalates in Crimea as France demands that Turkey end Russia's exclusive control of the Christian Holy Places in the Ottoman empire.