© National Portrait Gallery, London
by Robert Hancock Click on the links below to find out more
black, red and brown chalk and pencil, 1798
6 1/2 in. x 5 1/2 in. (165 mm x 140 mm)
- Robert Hancock (1730-1817), Artist. Artist associated with 14 portraits.
- Holmes, Richard, Insights: The Romantic Poets and Their Circle, 2005, p. 24
- Holmes, Richard, The Romantic Poets and Their Circle, 2013, p. 32
- Rogers, Malcolm, Master Drawings from the National Portrait Gallery, 1993 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 5 August to 23 October 1994), p. 79
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 678
- Walker, Richard, Regency Portraits, 1985, p. 571
To meet war costs, William Pitt introduces a Finance Bill which levies income tax for the first time.
Art and science
William Wordsworth and Samuel Taylor Coleridge publish Lyrical Ballads
; a key publication for the romantic movement in poetry. Coleridge's The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
opens the volume.Publisher and printseller Rudolph Ackermann establishes his popular 'Repository of the Arts' shop, gallery, library and social centre on the Strand.
Uprising of the United Irishmen: a republican rebellion which attempted to achieve Ireland's total independence by force with the aid of a French invasion. It was only narrowly defeated.Battle of the Nile. Napoleon's visionary Egyptian campaign offers British first major victory as Nelson destroys the French fleet.