© National Portrait Gallery, London
by Benjamin Robert Haydon Click on the links below to find out more
21 1/2 in. x 16 1/2 in. (546 mm x 419 mm)
Given by Silvia St Hill, 1950
- Benjamin Robert Haydon (1786-1846), History painter and diarist. Artist associated with 34 portraits, Sitter in 10 portraits.
- Holmes, Richard, The Romantic Poets and Their Circle, 2013, p. 55
- Holmes, Richard, Insights: The Romantic Poets and Their Circle, 2005, p. 42
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 678
- Walker, Richard, Regency Portraits, 1985, p. 573
Death of Charlotte Sophia of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, George III's Queen since 1761.Official enquiry initiated into Queen Caroline's conduct abroad.
Art and science
Mary Shelley anonymously publishes her masterpiece Frankenstein; or, the Modern Prometheus
which reflects growing concern about the role of morality in science.Lord Byron completes his romance Childe Harolde's Pilgrimage
, whose gloomy, dissolute hero was probably based on the writer himself.
Stamford Raffles acquires authorisation to construct a fort at Singapore marking the beginning of its development as a centre of East-West trade.Congress of European Alliance at Aix-La-Chapelle. Lord Castlereagh plays a central role in establishing a pan-Europe peace settlement to bring a chastened France back into the world of political respectability.