2 of 59 portraits of W.B. Yeats
by Augustus Edwin John
7 in. x 5 in. (178 mm x 127 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- William Butler Yeats (1865-1939), Poet and dramatist; son of John Butler Yeats. Sitter in 59 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Augustus Edwin John (1878-1961), Painter. Artist associated with 33 portraits, Sitter in 101 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 682
Events of 1907back to top
Current affairsRobert Baden Powell, a former lieutenant-general in the British Army, forms the Boy Scout Movement after holding a camp on Brownsea Island for a group of twenty-two boys of mixed social background. Baden Powell was inspired after finding that his 1903 military training manual Aids to Scouting had become a bestseller, and was being used by teachers and youth workers. The Scout movement has become a Worldwide phenomenon, with over 38 million members in 216 countries.
Art and scienceThe poet, author and critic Edmund Gosse publishes his autobiography Father and Son, an account of his relationship with his devout Christian father, the zoologist Phillip Gosse. Edmund's detailing of his loss of faith is a reflection on the Victorian age itself. Anna Pavlova first dances The Dying Swan, choreographed by Michel Fokine to music by Camille Saint-Saens, at a charity performance.
InternationalAmerica is gripped by a financial crisis as a collapse of trust companies causes panic amongst shareholders. Aged twenty, the Swiss architect Le Corbusier, one of the most influential figures in twentieth-century architecture, designs his first house at La Chaux-de-Fonds in Switzerland.
Related shop items
- A Guide to Victorian & Edwardian Portraits
- Augustus John Greetings Card
- Sargent: Portraits of Artists and Friends
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- John Singer Sargent: Painting Friends
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- Vanity Fair Portraits catalogue (paperback)