© National Portrait Gallery, London
by John Stanton Ward Click on the links below to find out more
oil on canvas, 1987-1988
74 in. x 38 in. (1880 mm x 965 mm)
Commissioned with help from the Austin Reed Group, 1988
- Princess Anne (1950-), Equestrian; Olympian; Princess Royal and daughter of Queen Elizabeth II. Sitter in 119 portraits.
- John Stanton Ward (1917-2007), Portrait painter, book illustrator and architectural draughtsman. Artist of 15 portraits, Sitter in 7 portraits.
- NPG x35900: Princess Anne; John Stanton Ward (includes the portrait)
- NPG x35901: Princess Anne; John Stanton Ward (includes the portrait)
- NPG x35902: Princess Anne; John Stanton Ward (includes the portrait)
Hurricane-force winds batter southern England, blowing-down trees, and damaging buildings, blocking roads and causing 19 deaths. The storm was not predicted by the Met Office, a fact that is often jeeringly referred to by quoting Michael Fish's response to a report that 'there was a hurricane on the way…don't worry… there isn't' (the report was actually referring to Florida, not the UK).
Art and science
Alan Bennett's series of monologues Talking Heads
is aired by the BBC. The series featured a set of characters that show the secret lives of the English: their dreams, frustrations, and fantasies. The impressive cast included Dame Thora Hird, Patricia Routledge, Maggie Smith, Julie Walters and Bennett himself.
The second largest ever one-day percentage decline in the stock market is named Black Monday
. The Dow Jones index in the USA dropped dramatically followed by similar drops around the world. It is still unclear what exactly caused the crash, although worldwide panic selling certainly made it escalate.Terry Waite is taken hostage while trying to negotiate the release of four men held by the Islamic Jihad in Beirut.