4 of 40 portraits of Samuel Beckett
by Jane Bown
bromide print, 1976
13 1/8 in. x 19 1/2 in. (335 mm x 493 mm)
Given by Jane Bown and The Observer, 1981 in conjunction with the exhibition 'The Gentle Eye: Photographs by Jane Bown of The Observer'
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Jane Bown (1925-), Photographer. Artist associated with 72 portraits, Sitter in 7 portraits.
This portraitback to top
This was one of three frames Jane Bown took of the famously camera-shy playwright whilst he was directing Billie Whitelaw in Happy Days at The Royal Court. This is considered one of Bown's most iconic photographs.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Faces of the Century, 1999 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 22 October 1999 to 30 January 2000), p. 16
- Bown, Jane, Exposures, 2009, p. 142
- Jeffares, A. Norman, Character Sketches: The Irish Literary Movement, 1998, p. 12
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 43