1 of 3 portraits of Richard Bentley
by John Giles Eccardt
oil on canvas, 1753
16 5/8 in. x 13 1/2 in. (422 mm x 343 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Richard Bentley (1708-1782), Writer and artist; son of Richard Bentley. Sitter in 3 portraits.
Artistback to top
- John Giles Eccardt (active 1740-died 1779), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 20 portraits.
This portraitback to top
One of six Eccardt portraits commissioned by Walpole , Bentley is here shown in van Dyck-style costume. In one hand he holds his own design of the figure of Melancholy drawn by him for the edition of Thomas Gray's Odes (1753).
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 53
- Ribeiro, Aileen; Blackman, Cally, A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery, 2015, p. 228
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 51