King Charles II
1 portrait of King Charles II
King Charles II
by John Roettier
silver medal, 1660
3 3/8 in. (85 mm) diameter
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- King Charles II (1630-1685), Reigned 1660-85. Sitter associated with 294 portraits.
This portraitback to top
This medal was cast to celebrate Charles II's triumphal return to London on 29 May 1660.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 116
Events of 1660back to top
Current affairsThe Convention Parliament and Lords proclaim Charles II king after he issues a declaration from Breda offering an indemnity to those who had committed crimes against the crown during the civil war and Interregnum. Charles lands at Dover from The Hague on 25th May to great pomp and ceremony.
Art and scienceDiarist Samuel Pepys starts his diary on 1st January, writing in shorthand. The diary became a unique social document, opening with a brief summary of his domestic situation and the political background. Dutch portrait painter, Peter Lely, is appointed principle painter to Charles II.Official foundation of the Royal Society.
InternationalThe Anglo-Spanish War, begun by Lord Protector, Oliver Cromwell, formally ends after the restoration of the British monarchy and peace is made with Philip IV of Spain.
Buy a print
Related shop items
- Kings and Queens Mug
- Companion Series: Pepys and his Contemporaries
- King Charles II Magnetic Frame
- Monarchs Ruler
- Monarchs Magnetic Set
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Moustaches,Whiskers & Beards
- Pets in Portraits
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster