15 of 174 portraits of Winston Churchill
by Graham Vivian Sutherland
21 1/2 in. x 16 3/8 in. (546 mm x 416 mm)
Given by the artist's widow, Mrs Graham Sutherland, 1980
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965), Prime Minister. Sitter in 174 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Graham Vivian Sutherland (1903-1980), Painter. Artist associated with 23 portraits, Sitter in 61 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Sutherland had difficulties with the variable nature of his sitter's face, sometimes young and cherubic, sometimes old and tired: 'There are so many Churchills, I have to find the real one'. Lord Moran, Churchill's doctor, warned him that his sitter was always acting: 'try to see him when he has got the grease-paint off his face'.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 124
Exhibitions and displays
- Women and the First World War
Until 25 October
- Curators' Choice: Photographs from the Terence Pepper Gift
Until 24 January 2016