16 of 183 portraits of Winston Churchill
by Graham Vivian Sutherland
pen and ink and pencil, 1954
8 1/4 in. x 6 1/2 in. (210 mm x 165 mm)
Given by the artist's widow, Mrs Graham Sutherland, 1980
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965), Prime Minister. Sitter in 183 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Graham Vivian Sutherland (1903-1980), Painter. Artist associated with 23 portraits, Sitter in 61 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Squared up for transfer to the canvas, this is a late version of the many hand studies. This, the sitter's left hand, had at one stage been intended to hold a cigar, an idea which remained, subliminally, in the finished portrait, and it is likely that Churchill toyed with a cigar during the sittings.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 124
Exhibitions and displays
- Public and Private: Winston Churchill in Photographs
From 27 October
- Women and the First World War
Until 25 October
- Curators' Choice: Photographs from the Terence Pepper Gift
Until 24 January 2016