by Charles Geoffroy-Dechaume
oil on canvas, 1920s?
35 5/8 in. x 28 7/8 in. (904 mm x 733 mm)
Given by E.M. Jowett, 1984
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Charles Geoffroy-Dechaume (1877-1944), Painter. Artist of 1 portrait, Sitter in 1 portrait.
This portraitback to top
D'Aranyi is wearing a dress that epitomises the liberation of women's fashion in the 1920s. The carnations, traditional flowers of concert-goers in Italy and Spain, lying on a classical window ledge recall early Italian paintings of the fifteenth century.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 163
- Only Connect - Jelly D'Aranyi <> Edward Elgar
- Only Connect - Jelly D'Aranyi <> Joseph Joachim
- Only Connect - Jelly D'Aranyi <> Philip Heseltine
- Only Connect - Jelly D'Aranyi <> Ludwig Van Beethoven
- Only Connect - Jelly D'Aranyi <> Gustav Holst
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- Early 20th Century