King Edward VII
1 portrait by W. & D. Downey
King Edward VII
attributed to W. & D. Downey
sepia-toned platinum print, 1908
9 3/8 in. x 11 3/8 in. (239 mm x 290 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- King Edward VII (1841-1910), Reigned 1901-10. Sitter associated with 497 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 196
Events of 1908back to top
Current affairsHenry Asquith replaces Henry Campbell-Bannerman as Liberal leader and Prime Minister, with David Lloyd George taking control of the Exchequer. Asquith and Lloyd George embark on a bold programme of social reform, laying the foundations of the Welfare State, introducing government pensions this year and later a system of National Insurance.The first aeroplane for the British army is built by the American, Samuel Cody.
Art and scienceE.M. Forster's novel A Room with a View is published, following the experiences of a young woman, Lucy Honeydrew, in the repressed culture of Edwardian England. The French art critic Louis Vauxcelles first uses the term 'cubism' to refer to a landscape painting by Georges Braque.
InternationalKing Carlos of Portugal and his heir, Prince Luis Filipe, are killed by assassins from the Republican trying to provoke a revolution. Carlos I, unpopular because of his extravagant lifestyle and extramarital affairs, was succeeded by his younger son, Manuel, the last monarch of the Braganza dynasty. Following the death of the Guangxu Emperor in China, his two year old nephew replaces him, becoming the the last Manchu emperor of China.
Exhibitions and displays
Related shop items
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- A Guide to Victorian & Edwardian Portraits (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- Pets in Portraits
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- Kings and Queens of England Mug