Queen Elizabeth II
Queen Elizabeth II
by Yousuf Karsh
bromide print, 1951
9 3/4 in. x 7 5/8 in. (248 mm x 194 mm)
Given by Yousuf Karsh, 1987
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Yousuf Karsh (1908-2002), Photographer. Artist associated with 155 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
This portraitback to top
Karsh photographed the Queen on four occasions over a period of more than forty years, often in connection with official visits to Canada. These pictures have been used by press all over the world, and by the Royal Family as official and personal gifts.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 201
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- The Face of Monarchy (11 February 2006 - 6 September 2006)
Events of 1951back to top
Current affairsThe Conservative Party wins the general election and Winston Churchill returns for a second term as prime minister.
Art and scienceOn the centenary of the Great Exhibition of 1851, the Festival of Britain is held as a nationwide celebration of British culture, and as an impetus for post-war regeneration. As well as various art, science and industrial exhibitions and events, a major regeneration project was initiated for the South Bank area of London under the directorship of the architect, Hugh Casson.
InternationalLibya declares its sovereignty from Italian rule, becoming the first independent state to be created by the UN.At the Treaty of San Francisco, 48 nations sign a peace treaty with Japan, officially ending the Pacific War - the last battleground of the Second World War.
Exhibitions and displays
Related shop items
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- A Guide to Contemporary Portraits (paperback)
- A Guide to the National Portrait Gallery (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- The Real Tudors: Kings and Queens Rediscovered
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Pets in Portraits
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- Queen Elizabeth II Bust
- Kings and Queens of England Mug