Queen Elizabeth II
Queen Elizabeth II
by Michael Leonard
acrylic on cotton duck, 1985-1986
30 in. x 24 1/4 in. (762 mm x 616 mm)
Given by Reader's Digest Association, 1986
Click on the links below to find out more:
This portraitback to top
Michael Leonard said of this portrait, which shows The Queen with her corgi Spark, that his aim was 'a straightforward rather informal picture that would tend to play down the remoteness of Her Majesty's special position'.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Gibson, Robin, The Face in the Corner: Animal Portraits from the Collections of the National Portrait Gallery, 1998, p. 93
- Robin Gibson, Pets in Portraits, 2015, p. 137
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 202
- Williamson, David, The National Portrait Gallery: History of the Kings and Queens of England, 1998, p. 159
- Williamson, David, Kings and Queens, 2010, p. 165
Events of 1985back to top
Current affairs55 people die in the Manchester air disaster when a British Airtours Boeing 737 bursts into flames after an aborted takeoff at Manchester International Airport.
Art and scienceBob Geldof and Midge Ure organise Live Aid, a rock concert in London and Philadelphia, to raise funds for famine relief. The biggest names in popular music, including Paul McCartney, Queen, Status Quo, The Police, Mick Jagger, David Bowie, U2, The Who, and Led Zeppelin, performed to a TV audience of 1.5 billion.The British Antarctic Survey discovers a hole in the ozone layer above Antarctica.
InternationalReformer Mikhail Gorbachev comes to power as first secretary of the Soviet Communist party. He calls for 'glasnost' (openness) in Soviet life, and pursues a policy of 'perestroika' (reconstruction).French intelligence operatives sabotage Rainbow Warrior, the Greenpeace vessel. The ship was leading a protest against French nuclear testing in New Zealand when it was bombed and sunk, killing one of the twelve on board.
Buy a print
Related shop items
- Kings and Queens Mug
- A Guide to Contemporary Portraits
- Monarchs Ruler
- Monarchs Magnetic Set
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- The Real Tudors: Kings and Queens Rediscovered
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Pets in Portraits
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- Queen Elizabeth II Bust