King George IV
King George IV
by Thomas Wyon Jr, after Sir Thomas Lawrence
silver medal with ribbon, 1816
1 3/8 in. (35 mm) diameter
Given by Lloyd Tyrell-Kenyon, 5th Lord Kenyon and his sister, the Hon. Mrs Desmond Cooke, 1983
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- King George IV (1762-1830), Regent 1811-19; Reigned 1820-30. Sitter associated with 197 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Linked publicationsback to top
Events of 1816back to top
Current affairsMarriage of Princess Charlotte to Leopold I.
Income Tax abolished.
Unsuccessful Spa Fields Riot led by the ultra-radical Arthur Thistlewood which aimed to attack the Tower of London and the Bank of England and set up a ruling 'Committee of Public Safety' following the French model.
Art and scienceJane Austen publishes Emma.
Leeds and Liverpool Canal completed.
InternationalBritish Government buys the Elgin Marbles, taken from the Acropolis in Athens by Thomas Bruce, 7th Earl of Elgin, and brought to England between 1803 and 1812. Their acquisition prompts support from Thomas Lawrence and Benjamin Robert Haydon and condemnation from Lord Byron.
Slave rebellion fails in Barbados; four hundred slaves are executed.
- WebQuest: Diversity on Display
- My Favourite Portrait by Jeremy Paxman
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Party Trail
- 18th Century and Regency Portraits
- Collected Archives - J-M
- Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- Thomas Lawrence: Regency Power and Brilliance minisite
- Thomas Lawrence and picture framing
- 2. Lawrence at work
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Bronze sculpture founders: a short history
- Portrait of the Day: Sir Samuel Romilly
28 September, 12:30