1 portrait of Nina Hamnett
© Michael Parkin / National Portrait Gallery, London
by Daniel Farson
bromide print, 1952
6 7/8 in. x 6 3/4 in. (175 mm x 174 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Daniel Farson (1927-1997), Photographer and writer. Artist of 47 portraits, Sitter in 4 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Farson photographed Hamnett in her sixties, a regular at the Caves de France, Soho, with her dog Peter Mons Berlemont. Now calling herself 'the last of the Bohemians' Farson described her: 'Nina was still game but I could sense that her tide was ebbing. In earlier years she had filled the hours until they overflowed and now she was having to settle the debt.'
Linked publicationsback to top
- Bakewell, Michael, Character Sketches: Fitzrovia: London's Bohemia, 1999, p. 17
- Fryer, Jonathan, Character Sketches: Soho in the Fifties and Sixties, 1998, p. 15
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 276
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Famous in the Fifties: Photographs by Daniel Farson (19 April 2012 - 16 September 2012)