1 of 27 portraits of Barbara Hepworth
by Dame Barbara Hepworth
oil and pencil on board, 1950
12 in. x 10 1/2 in. (305 mm x 267 mm)
Bequeathed by Dr Priaulx Rainier, 1987
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Dame Barbara Hepworth (1903-1975), Sculptor; second wife of Ben Nicholson. Sitter in 27 portraits, Artist of 1 portrait.
Artistback to top
- Dame Barbara Hepworth (1903-1975), Sculptor; second wife of Ben Nicholson. Artist of 1 portrait, Sitter in 27 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Unlike Moore, Hepworth was not a prolific draughtsman but two groups of drawings in her ouevre stand out, the first for the War Artists' Advisory Committee recording hospital operations in wartime, and the second to which this sef-portrait belongs. In the late 40s, when her marriage to Ben Nicholson had disintergrated and she was on her on in St Ives, the sculptor developed a routine of drawing from models in the evenings after the day's carving was ended. Bequeathed by Dr Priaulx Rainier, 1987.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Bond; Anthony; Woodall, Joanna, Self Portrait: Renaissance to Contemporary, 2005 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 20 October - 29 January 2006), p. 47
- Gibson, Robin; Clerk, Honor, 20th Century Portraits in the National Portrait Gallery Collection, 1993, p. 21
- Rideal, Liz, Mirror Mirror: Self-portraits by Women Artists, 2001 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 12 September 2001 to 20 January 2002), p. 89
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 297
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Mirror Mirror: Self-portraits by women artists (12 September 2001 - 20 January 2002)