1 portrait of Paul McCartney
by Humphrey Ocean (Humphrey Anthony Erdeswick Butler-Bowdon)
oil on canvas, 1983
33 5/8 in. x 19 1/2 in. (854 mm x 495 mm)
Commissioned as part of the First Prize, Imperial Tobacco Portrait Award, 1982, 1983
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Sir (James) Paul McCartney (1942-), Musician; member of The Beatles. Sitter in 50 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Humphrey Ocean (Humphrey Anthony Erdeswick Butler-Bowdon) (1951-), Painter. Artist of 11 portraits, Sitter in 2 portraits.
This portraitback to top
In the 1970s Ocean had been co-opted by his art tutor Ian Dury as a bass player with the band Kilburn and the High Roads; already in the rock music world, he then travelled as artist in residence on a Wings tour of America in 1976 and so knew his sitter well when he came to paint him for the National Portrait Gallery.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Audio Guide
- Gibson, Robin, Treasures from the National Portrait Gallery, 1996, p. 127
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 398
- Simon, Jacob, The Art of the Picture Frame: Artists, Patrons and the Framing of Portraits in Britain, 1997 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 8 November 1996 - 9 February 1997), p. 188