© National Portrait Gallery, London
Cecil Henry Meares
by Herbert George Ponting Click on the links below to find out more
bromide print, 1911
17 7/8 in. x 13 in. (454 mm x 330 mm)
- Cecil Henry Meares (1877-1937), Lieutenant-Colonel, linguist and Antarctic explorer. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Herbert George Ponting (1870-1935), Photographer and antarctic explorer. Artist of 11 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
Lieutenant-Colonel, linguist and Antarctic explorer. He is seen in this portrait with Osman, the leader of the dog pack. Osman survived the extreme conditions of the Antarctic and lived the rest of his life in New Zealand.
- Robin Gibson, Pets in Portraits, 2015, p. 11
- Rolley, Katrina; Aish, Caroline, Fashion in Photographs 1900-1920, 1992, p. 73
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 424
Asquith's Liberal government introduces the Parliament Act to curb the powers of the House of Lords following the clash between the Commons and Lords over the 1909 People's Budget. The Act removed the Lords' power to veto bills, reduced the length of Parliament from seven to five years, and provided for the payment of MPs.
Art and science
Ernest Rutherford discovers the structure of the atom. The New Zealand born physicist working in Manchester showed with his Nuclear Model
that electrons orbited a nucleus composed of protons and neutrons. The discovery paved the way for nuclear physics.
The Polish Chemist, Marie Curie, becomes the first woman to win the Nobel Prize for her discovery in 1898 of the radioactive element, Radon.The Mona Lisa is stolen from the Louvre. The masterpiece was missing for two years, during which time suspicion fell on avant-garde poet Guillaume Apollinaire and his friend Pablo Picasso, before Vincenzo Peruggia, an employee of the Louvre, was arrested in Florence.