by Unknown artist
Staffordshire portrait figure, circa 1810-1815
8 3/4 in. (221 mm) high
Click on the links below to find out more:
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 434
- Schama, Simon, The Face of Britain: The Nation Through its Portraits, 2015-09-15, p. 457
Events of 1810back to top
Current affairsSerious 'Burdett and Liberty' riots break out in London in support of radical MP Sir Francis Burdett who had been arrested for denouncing the House of Common's decision to bar journalists from some debates. Princess Amelia dies triggering renewed bout of illness in her father, George III.
Art and scienceSir Walter Scott publishes his chivalrous, medieval ballad, The Lady of the Lake, set on Loch Katrine in Perthshire.Kennett and Avon Trunk Canal is completed.First Savings Bank is set up by financier Henry Duncan.
InternationalMadame De Stael writes De l'Allemagne which portrays Germany as a model of Romantic nationalism for emerging revolutionary nations. It was banned by Napoleon but published in London to great acclaim.Lisbon besieged. Wellington takes shelter behind the fortified lines of the Torres Vedras and the French army are forced to retreat.
Exhibitions and displays
- Framing the Face: Collars and Ruffs
Until 16 July
- Reproducing Fame: Printmakers and the Nineteenth Century Stage
Until 2 July
- Portrait of the Day: Augustus Pugin
31 January, 12:30