2 of 8 portraits on display at Sainsbury Centre for Visual Arts, Norwich, uk in the exhibition 'Art and East Anglia'
by Sir William Beechey
oil on canvas, 1800
24 1/2 in. x 19 in. (623 mm x 483 mm)
Purchased with help from the National Heritage Memorial Fund, 1985
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Horatio Nelson, Viscount Nelson (1758-1805), Vice-Admiral and victor of Trafalgar. Sitter associated with 84 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir William Beechey (1753-1839), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 249 portraits, Sitter in 7 portraits.
This portraitback to top
When Nelson returned home from Europe in 1800, he was not only the 'Hero of the Nile', but the subject of intense gossip because of his affair with Emma Hamilton. The portrait copies produced by Lemuel Francis Abbott after his painting of 1797 had satisfied public demand up to a point, but on Nelson's return to London a spate of artists set to work to further immortalise him. In recognition of his Norfolk origins, this portrait was commissioned by the City of Norwich. It depicts Nelson with an air of quiet self-confidence and is considered the most faithful likeness of him.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Audio Guide
- I-Spy National Portrait Gallery, 2010, p. 28
- Cooper, John, Great Britons: The Great Debate, 2002, p. 86
- Cooper, John, Visitor's Guide, 2000, p. 61
- Cooper, John, A Guide to the National Portrait Gallery, 2009, p. 32
- Holmes, Richard; Crane, David; Woof, Robert; Hebron, Stephen, Romantics and Revolutionaries: Regency portraits from the National Portrait Gallery, 2002, p. 10
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 455
- Woof, Robert; Hebron, Stephen, Romantic Icons, 1999, p. 41
- My Favourite Portrait by Alan Titchmarsh
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Viscount Nelson
- WebQuest: Pepys, Nelson, Seacole
- Only Connect - Horatio Nelson <> Joseph Haydn
- Only Connect - Horatio Nelson <> William Hamilton
- Only Connect - Horatio Nelson <> Emma Hamilton
- Only Connect - Horatio Nelson <> Richard Cosway
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- WebQuest: Diversity on Display
- The Regency