8 of 39 portraits of Margaret Thatcher
by Rodrigo Moynihan
oil on canvas, 1983-1985
49 3/4 in. x 40 in. (1265 mm x 1015 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Margaret Hilda Thatcher (née Roberts), Baroness Thatcher of Kesteven (1925-2013), Prime Minister. Sitter in 39 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Rodrigo Moynihan (1910-1990), Painter. Artist associated with 8 portraits, Sitter in 2 portraits.
This portraitback to top
This portrait of Thatcher in 10 Downing Street was commissioned after the General Election of 1983, when the Conservative party was re-elected.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Gibson, Robin, Treasures from the National Portrait Gallery, 1996, p. 129
- Ribeiro, Aileen, The Gallery of Fashion, 2000, p. 245
- Ribeiro, Aileen; Blackman, Cally, A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery, 2015, p. 252
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 611
- Various contributors, National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain, 2014, p. 244
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Icons and Idols: Commissioning Contemporary Portraits (2 March 2006 - 18 June 2006)