2 of 20 portraits of Peg Woffington
by John Lewis
oil on canvas, feigned oval, 1753
29 7/8 in. x 24 7/8 in. (760 mm x 633 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Margaret ('Peg') Woffington (1720?-1760), Actress. Sitter associated with 20 portraits.
This portraitback to top
This portrait shows Woffington shortly before her retirement from the stage in 1754.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Cullen, Fintan, The Irish Face: Redefining the Irish Portrait, 2004, p. 117
- Perry, Gill (introduction) Roach, Joseph (appreciation) and West, Shearer (appreciation), The First Actresses: Nell Gwyn to Sarah Siddons, 2011 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 20 October 2011 to 8 January 2012), p. 79
- Ribeiro, Aileen, The Gallery of Fashion, 2000, p. 120
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 673
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- The First Actresses: Nell Gwyn to Sarah Siddons (20 October 2011 - 8 January 2012)